Thursday, September 23, 2004

Is it really a terrible idea to respond to the Bush campaign's windsurfing ad by reminding voters that Kerry is a grown-up who doesn't live in Fantasyland? I think it might be an adequate response -- but I'd enjoy a nastier one:

The key is the background music -- Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." What song better encapsulates the Bush reelection message? Over that, layer clips of Bush in his most unbearable pleased-with-myself mode. Throw in the "Mission Accomplished" clip and one or two other premature declarations of victory. Intercut car bombs, bin Laden clips, and other evidence of the chaos. Oh, and you could easily do an economic version of this as well, or combine the two.

I don't know if there'd be resistance to politicizing that song -- but it was written by Eric Idle, whose opinion of the current U.S. regime can probably be surmised from his recent "FCC Song."

Hell, I just want to see an ad like that.

No comments: